Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day Practicing Skills

     I walked into radiology lab this morning and sat down thinking that I was all prepared for the day and that the time that I spent last week and weekend organizing all my stuff had hopefully helped.  Well no...I opened my backpack to get out my radiology binder and guess what I found?  Not my radiology binder!  NO!!!  I had spent the weekend printing all the papers and power points that I would need for radiology and now I didn't have them and we were going to be going over power points.  Oh well...I survived. 
     After we talked about the material for the day we headed to the radiology lab to take x-rays on DEXTER (a fake head with real human teeth in the mouth).  We took 4 horizontal bitewings and 4 vertical bitewings.  At Dr. Craven's office I was so good at taking x-rays.  I almost always had open contacts, the film was in the exact right position in the patients mouth and everything was good.  Well not here.  I knew this would happen because I have had hygienists tell me that you will be so good at taking x-rays and then you go to school and you take the worst x-rays ever.  Something to work on and improve on.  I think it was also hard to take good x-rays on a fake patient compared to a real living human being patient. 
     After radiology was over I had a fabulous lunch of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with yogurt and chips and fruit punch Kool-Aid.  YUM YUM!!!  After lunch I headed to clinic for a fabulous afternoon.
     Today was the first day I was able to work on another student in the dental hygiene program during clinic time.  We practiced the air/water syringe with the HVE, saliva ejector, and the Blue Boa.  I had a great patient!  Tori was very clam and patient with me as I kept suctioning up her cheek and her tongue with the HVE.  Thanks Tori, for teaching me a better way to use the HVE.  I have pretty much always hated using the HVE because I would always suck the patients cheek or tongue into it and that IS NOT fun for the patient.  Now I know a few secrets and tips about using the HVE effectively and hopefully I can make it my friend because I will definitely need to use it during procedures on patients.
     I was also able to pass off my Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Progress Evaluation.  Yea!  My goal is to keep ahead on the PEs and pass them off early each time so I don't have to stress about failing them on the day they are due and missing those points.