Today in clinic we learned what I felt to be a very confusing concept at the beginning but by the end I understood it pretty well. I am taking my typodont home with me this weekend to practice so I don't forget everything that I think I understand now.
We learned the proper positions to sit in our chair while working on patients and how to keep the correct posture while cleaning each area of the patient's mouth. I'm a little sore now from sitting that way today because I'm not used to sitting straight up all the time. Eventually this good posture will pay off because I won't have neck and back problems during my dental hygiene career.
We learned to visualize which surface of the teeth are towards me or away from me and decide if I need to be at the 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 o'clock position. I also started to figure out how to use my mirror and an instrument in my hands. This may sound like it would be pretty easy but I would like you to try it. Not so easy! Instructor Hafen was great with my pod and really helped us to understand the concept and know which positions to place the patient and ourselves for optimal viewing of the patient's mouth while not compromising our posture.
I also passed off two PEs today! Now I am way ahead of the due dates for PEs. Wahoo! Today was a very fun day in clinic. I am so glad we are starting to learn more complex things in clinic. In a matter of just a few weeks I will go from learning how to wash my hands properly to cleaning peoples teeth! I can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment