Monday, November 1, 2010

First Bad Clinic Day

     Today in clinic was by far the worst day I have had in clinic this semester.  I had a great morning in radiology lab but this afternoon in clinic just wasn't going for me.  First of all I feel like I am kind of lost in everything that I should know/do because I feel like the instructors never come over and help me, even if I go find them and ask them for help.  Today in clinic we were learning how to do sealants and we also needed to pass off the selective polishing PE.  I had heard that some of the girls in the morning clinic passed off the air powder polisher PE so I also wanted to get that one done.  So my patient was the one that was used by the instructor to deomonstrate to the class how to do sealants.  She had me write down all the areas in my patient's mouth that could be sealed.  That part of the procedure was done for me, all I had to do was pick the teeth that I wanted to seal and then treatment plan them in the computer.  Sounds easy enough right...NO!  I couldn't get the stupid treatment planner to work on the computer and I wasted about 10 minutes just waiting for an instructor to come over and see what was going on.  I was told I could get to work and the instructors would figure out what was going on. 
     I placed two sealants with little difficulty except that I had too much in one of them and I had a hard time getting it shaved down to a comfortable height for my patient.  The instructor finally came over to help me and guess what?...the sealant popped off!  Which is fine because that means I didn't do it right and thats a good learning experience for me.  So the instructor stood and watched me, which I was so grateful for.  I got the sealant redone and adjusted again. 
     After the sealants were done someone asked the instructor what time we were supposed to switch.  Of course it was in about ten minutes and I still had a PE that i needed to pass off.  The instructor went to another girl to pass off her PE and told me to practice with the air powder polisher while she passed off this girls PE.  That was just fine...until I wasted about 10 minutes trying to get my air powder polisher to work.  Stupid thing!!!  Once the instructors got it working it was time to switch and I still needed to pass off my PE.  So my instructor told me to pass off my selective polishing PE today and asked me if I was ready.  I was, with the exception of one thing that I had to get off of my counter that is right next to me.  When I turned around to start on my PE she was gone.  GRRR.  I had to go ask her again to come over so I could pass off my PE.  Finally I was able to get that passed off. 
     After all this we switched and it was my turn to be the patient.  Of course while I was in the chair being patient, the operator had about as much difficulty and frustration as I did.  I didn't leave school today until 5:15 and clinic is supposed to be done by 4:30.  I'm just glad school is done for the day.  At least I survived.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had a crappy day Whitnee. Today was a pretty bad day in terms of clinic organization that is for sure! Wednesday will be better.

    ReplyDelete