Friday, October 7, 2011

Children's Health Connection

     Today was the Children's Health Connection.  It was held at Weber State in the dental hygiene clinic.  I was able to clean kids teeth for the event.  It was a good experience for me to work with children.  When I worked in a private dental office we didn't see very many kids and the ones that we did see were pretty well behaved.  Two of the kids I saw today were pretty uncooperative.  By the end of their appointment I was able to at least brush and floss their teeth and apply fluoride. 
     For this event kids in the Ogden area receive free x-rays, cleanings, and some dental work by local dentists.  At the beginning of the morning there were a lot of the kids that had appointments that didn't even show up.  Pretty sad that they have an opportunity for free dental care and the parents forget the appointment. 
     With the kids that I saw I really tried to focus on their own home care.  I showed them and their parents the correct way to brush and floss their teeth and encouraged them to brush at least twice a day.  I hope that they will use this information and take better care of their teeth.  It's sad that even though they can't afford dental care they don't at least brush their teeth good to try and prevent having problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment