Monday, April 11, 2011

Oh What a Day!

     Good thing we only have one more clinic day this semester.  Each day seems to get a little more frustrating and more things seem to go wrong.  Clinic started out good today but quickly started going down hill.  When I tried to lay my patients' chair back the chair wouldn't work.  I went and talked to Professor Costley and she couldn't figure out how to fix it either.  Mr. Saloman came in and found out that somehow the wires for the control had somehow been pulled out. 
     I decided to take my patient to get her x-rays while they tried to fix my chair.  I knew that she didn't like x-rays so I was trying to make it a positive experience.  She couldn't close all the way together on the film so I went and got smaller films.  She still couldn't bite all the way together so I went to Professor Costley and asked her to come help me.  She finally got some good x-rays but unfortunately the computer didn't save one of the good x-rays.  This girl doesn't like x-rays as it is and she was "lucky" enough to get 3 sets of x-rays taken on her. 
     When I took my patient back to the clinic my chair still wasn't fixed.  I then went to the option of setting up another chair that would work and move her there.  The only problem was there were no empty chairs in clinic today.  Luckily, Mr. Saloman was able to get it fixed.  I then started on the OD and cleaning.  That all went pretty well.  Her lower 12 year molars were partly erupted but I didn't think I would be able to do sealants on them because they still had some gum tissue covering the back of them.  When Costley checked everything she said I could do sealants and she wanted me to do them since they were just erupted.  She had so much saliva I was having a really hard time keeping the teeth dry.  I had one of the other girls in clinic come and help me keep the teeth dry.  I got them both placed and checked them and one of the sealants came off.  Costley came over and helped me place that sealant.   
     Thank goodness for Professor Costley today.  She helped me with a lot of things.  I need to get better at doing things by myself because some day I won't have an instructor there to help me with things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment