Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Emotional Breakdown

     Last night I had the first emotional breakdown since I have been in the program.  I'm surprised I made it this far into the program without breaking down.  It all started yesterday afternoon when I received a text from my afternoon patient for the next day.  She had a funeral so she needed to reschedule.  I can't blame her for that and at least she called me.  I would much rather have people call and let me know they aren't going to make it than just not show up on me.  I was able to get her scheduled for the end of the month then I started looking for someone else to come in.  The only requirement that I really needed for this semester still was to see one child so I put a message on Facebook hoping to find a child.  A friend that I used to work with told me he would help out and try to find a child for me. 
     While all this was going on my patient that was scheduled for the morning called.  I thought they wanted to cancel and reschedule but they just wanted to have the husband come in instead of the wife.  After all this I called all the potential patients that I had phone numbers for to get someone scheduled for the afternoon but no luck.  By 8:30 I just said I have done everything that I can then I started to cry.  This semester has been really rough for me in clinic.  I have only had one week that I can think of when all of my patients that I had scheduled showed up.  I hope next semester doesn't continue this way. 
     At 9:00 my friend texted me telling me that he found a 5 year old boy for me to see but they didn't have the money to pay for it.  I told him I would pay for it if they were interested.  He arranged everything and let them know when and where to go.  You are the best Mike!
     Today has gone pretty good.  I was able to do some injections on my morning patient and I was able to get my requirments for children done!!!  I am ready for Christmas break.  Only 2 more clinic sessions and 1 more day at the VA this semester!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have had such a hard time :( I wish I could have helped you. Maybe you are emotional for a number of reasons...;) Love ya Whitnee! I'm excited to have clinic with you in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Whit. I can totally sympathize. This week was the only week all semester long where the people i had scheduled actually confirmed and showed up. So that's 10 weeks of patients no-showing or cancelling on me. And I've had 4 no-shows at the VA. I am not sure why this is happening to us, but happy to see that we are still passing off on our requirements. I am sorry that you too are having this many cancellations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whit, I love you girl!! I'm happy that you've only had one breakdown thus far... I'm on about 8, THIS semester! I wish there was something I could do for you though. I'm not nearly as good a friend as Mike!! Let me know! :) and I'm stoked for our last VA day of the semester as well!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete