Today I was able to be in clinic for the morning and the afternoon session. My brother-in-law, Bryce, is getting married on Wednesday so I had to do a full day in clinic today to be able to miss clinic Wednesday. I am so glad the instructors allowed me to do that so I can be at the wedding and not miss a clinic day and opportunities to pass off my requirements.
This morning I started off with the cutest 6 year old. She was so easy to work with. I was able to get x-rays, finish the cleaning and pass off the expolorer PE. I feel like I am getting a little bit faster and can get more done in one appointment than I used to be able to. After my patient left I was able to pass off the instrument sharpening PE. I failed that one last week but was able to do it perfectly today.
The afternoon session didn't go so smoothly. I had an older gentleman come back in to do the scaling. He was a class 2 with localized class 3. Before the appointment started I was thinking I would only be able to do half of his mouth. I was able to finish the first quadrant pretty quickly and when I had my instructor check my work I hadn't left any deposit in that quadrant. HORRAY! I moved on to the next quadrant and I thought that went pretty quickly also so I decided to move on and finish his whole mouth. I really felt like I had given him a good cleaning and that the deposits were removed. When my instructor came over to check she was finding spots that I had missed all over the place. I was thinking, "Well there goes my grade." She decided to choose one quadrant that was pretty close to being finished and stayed with me and helped me use the ultrasonic scaler and the hand scalers. In the end she decided to just count the two quadrants that I had completed and told me she wouldn't penalize me for the deposits that I had missed in the other two quadrants of his mouth. That was good news but I was still feeling bad. Thank goodness my patient was very easy going and agreed to come back for one more appointment to finish everything up.
All in all the all day clinic routine went pretty smoothly and quickly. I am glad it is over though...until next year when that is what I will do every week.
No comments:
Post a Comment