Today was my first day with a patient that I had never met before. I have to say it went pretty well. I really wasn't nervous at all. I think that I did a pretty good job at making my patient think that I knew what I was doing, even if I forgot something and had to go back and complete it. I'm surprised that I was able to keep my cool like that because usually I panic and then really start messing up and making mistakes. I DID IT!!!
I scheduled todays patient from the resource list at the beginning of December. I was so nervous that she wouldn't show up so I called her a few times during the last week just to make sure she was still going to come. I was so relieved when I saw on the computer schedule that she had arrived. That was my biggest stress.
I was hoping to be able to get some x-rays today on my patient since she was a new patient but just last month she had 4 BWX and 2 ant. PAs taken by Midtown Clinic. I was kind of bummed about that but I was able to get 1 PA on the lower left because of massive decay. When I laid my patient back to do an intra oral exam I was amazed at how much buildup was on her teeth. It didn't look like she had brushed in at least a week. Yummy! At first I was totally grossed out by it and wondered how I could be in her mouth for the next two hours but I just had to tell myself not to think about it. Once I got past the initial shock I was fine. She didn't have deep periodontal pockets like I expected her to have. I might have been a little too gentle and timid. When Professor Costley came over to do my OD Check she told me that my patient was a class II with localized class III on the lower anteriors. I was pretty excited about that. That will help me fulfill some of my hardest requirements.
When I was going over oral hygiene she told me that she brushes twice a day and flosses at least once a day. I DON'T THINK SO GIRL! If you brush and floss that much you shouldn't have this much crap in your mouth. Sometimes I wish I could tell patients this. I was nice about it and showed her the proper way to brush and floss. She is coming back at the end of January so we will see if her brushing and flossing is any better.
For clinic Wednesday I need to try to have all my paper work organized a little better. I have two pedo patients scheduled for Wednesday morning so my goal is to completely finish one patient and start on the other patient.
I feel bad that people feel like they have to lie, and tell you they brush and floss. Because if they are honest you are going to get mad at them. :( Great job though Whitnee.
ReplyDelete