This morning one of my patients that I did x-rays and an OD on earlier in the month came back. I was a little bit nervous about this appointment because she was a class 2 patient with localized class 3. I've only really scaled 1B patients so far so I wasn't sure if I was ready for a harder patient. The best way to learn is to do it though right? RIGHT!!! I learned a lot today. My instructor was also very helpful and patient with me. I learned new tricks for scaling malpositioned anterior teeth and learned how to use a new instrument today that I really liked. I might have to look in to buying one for myself.
When my patient came in earlier this month she had soft and hard deposit all over. It was really a shocker when she opened her mouth for the first time. At the last appointment I gave her a mirror and showed her how to properly brush and floss her teeth. Today there was a huge difference in the way her gums and teeth looked. I didn't have to deal with nearly as much soft deposit today as I did earlier this month with her. YEA, a patient listened to me and I made a difference!
Today I was able to scale 2 quadrants of her mouth. She had a ton of calculus buildup on her lower anteriors and I was so excited to start getting that off. It was awesome and a little gross. Hopefully she will keep up her better oral hygiene techniques and keep that side of her mouth healthy and clean until she comes back in two weeks for me to finish the other half of her mouth.
I was also able to pass off my Subgingival Calculus Explorer PE and my Subgingival Calculus Anterior Instrumentation PE today. It feels good to keep crossing requirements off my list.
This week I had four tests scheduled for my classes. I was able to get 2 of them done yesterday, both with an A, and now just have 2 more to finish studying for and then get them taken. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment