Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Health Histories

     Today was another clinic day.  After a week of no clinic I felt lost.  I'm afraid to even think of how I will feel after Christmas break or especially summer break.  I hope I'm not the only one that feels that way. 
     This morning I learned how to go over a patient's health history and what I need to write in the treatment record.  I can see why just going through the health history with some patients could take the whole three hour appointment.  For each medication that the patient is on I have to look up the drug in my drug reference book, write down the dosage that the patient takes, how long the patient has taken that medication, and any oral adverse reactions that could occur.  So, if I get a patient that is taking a lot of medications it could take a while to do all of these steps.  Hopefully before most of my patients come in next semester I will be able to talk to them on the phone a few days before their appointment and get a list of their medications so I can have most of this information ready.
     I was done with clinic/school today at 11:30 and headed home!  I love my Wednesday schedule.  I didn't have to work today so I looked forward to being able to catch up on some studying.  When I got home I found the house in more of a mess than I thought it was so of course I had to clean things up.  I didn't get as much studying done earlier today as I was planning on but at least I don't feel like I'm living in a pig pen now.  I can't study when I know that there are dishes, laundry, and vacuuming that needs to be done so it's just better for me to hurry and get that stuff done then start my studying.  Which I better get to now, since it is almost time to go to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment